he age-old question: “Should I buy a new or used car?” If there were a clear answer to this question, we wouldn’t still be constantly asking the question. Rather than telling you whether one is clearly better than the other, we’ve decided to put together a list of positives for each option. That way, depending on what the most important factors are for you, a clear picture will hopefully emerge for your situation.
The pros of new
- You’ve got a warranty, so you know where to go to for service. There’s also no worrying about getting a mechanic to inspect the vehicle’s current condition before you buy it because it’s new.
- You’ve got all of the newest features available to you. If cutting edge options are valuable to you, new cars can be enticing.
- You’ve got some ability to tailor the car. If you don’t need to drive off with a vehicle that day, then you can customize and order the exact colors, options, and other features to your preferences.
The pros of used
- Your total cost of ownership is lower with used cars over their lifetime with you – though this can vary depending on the car. But in general, not only will you pay less up front, but other costs such as insurance will be lower. Additionally, the biggest hits in depreciation come in the first years of a car’s age. Unless you’re driving it until the wheels fall off, when you sell it or trade it in, your depreciation hit won’t be as severe.
- You can get more car for your dollar. If the price of a new luxury vehicle is too much for you, a used luxury vehicle might be more palatable.
- You’ve got less invested in the car, so if something goes wrong, it’s not as big of a deal to move on.
We hope we’ve helped guide you in the right direction for you next car purchase. If you have more specific questions or need us to check out a car you’re interested in buying, you are of course welcome to contact us. Mast Service Center is here to be your trusted automotive resource, even before you own the vehicle.