2017 has been an exciting weather year, to say the least, and the colder months are expected to be a doozy as well. With winter approaching, it’s wise to prepare your vehicle for the colder temperatures and harsher weather conditions.
Most car drivers are aware that tires play a significant role as the temperatures drop. If you live in a part of the country with frigid temperatures and precipitation, winter tires might be a safe bet. Drivers can feel the difference in acceleration, braking, and handling when they switch from all-season tires to winter or snow tires. Besides tires, there are other parts of a vehicle that should be inspected and maintained as we move into the colder months.
Here are some car care tips to keep you and your passengers safe as the days get shorter.
- Get engined checked. Cold weather makes existing problems like stalling and idling worse.
- Check the heater and defroster. They both need to be in working condition for visibility and comfort.
- Replace old blades regularly. In harsher climates, consider buying rubber-clad (winter) blades to help with ice build-up. Remember to always have an ice scraper.
- Replace dirty air and fuel filters. This includes air, fuel, and PCV filters. An engine not functioning well is an engine that is less efficient and burns more gas.
- Have an emergency kit with you. Keep blankets, flares, tire chains, a flashlight, extra batteries, and a cell phone and extra car charger. Also, make sure to have plenty of water and high-energy snacks.
- Check your battery. Be mindful of making sure your battery is in good shape. Having a dead battery can put drivers and in a dangerous situation and could lead to hefty auto repair costs down the line.
- Have your brakes checked periodically. It’s important that your brakes are in working condition since winter weather causes the roads to become more slick and slippery.
- Change your oil and oil filter as specified. Regular oil and filter changes are some of the most commonly ignored services, yet they are crucial to protecting your engine.
The team at Mast Service Center wants our clients to feel safe during the harsher weather conditions of the winter months. To prepare your vehicle for colder weather, the team at Mast Service Center is happy to help. We’re located at 8608 North State Road 19 in Etna Green, IN 46524. To schedule an appointment, call us at (574) 907-0040 for our Etna Green location.